Thursday, October 2, 2008

Alex Taylor's take on life as an intern!

On numerous occasions I have been asked to write something (anything!) for the blog. I’ve been chewing my nails for hours now trying to come up with something slightly outside of the box and not to mention a little bit witty. Turns out I don’t have much to bring to the table, so I decided to go back to basics and talk about myself, oh and being in the Seychelles for the first time…

I must admit, when I set off traveling a year and a half ago, the idea of heading to the Seychelles by myself seemed somewhat ridiculous. Not only did I expect it to be a bit of a honeymooner’s hot spot, I didn’t think I would be able to suffice on my backpacker’s budget. But here I am, getting involved in the Seychellois way of life and even more so the MCSS internship.

It has to be said, Beau Vallon, where the volunteer’s house is located on Mahe, has proven itself to be quite the hub of action. Not only does it have the famous Bizarre Bazaar on Wednesday nights, which gives us our weekly Creole fix, it also has some of the best snorkeling around, not that I’m bragging, but this is found directly in front of the volunteer’s house! And if that’s not enough to write home about, Beau Vallon is also home to the wild Tequila Boom, where you can unleash your dance moves every Thursday, Friday, Saturday night, not that I know this off the top of my head…

Alex (right) showing that there's more too life as an intern than the local night life!

The Seychelles have really exceeded my expectations, not for a minute have I felt out of place. I’ve been sticking to my budget by shopping at the local markets and buying the local beer (Sey Brew) from the dairy. I also have noticed a lot of other solo backpackers around town, which is refreshing to see; I believe this is because of another volunteer program on Mahe with Global Vision International (GVI).

All in all, I’m having an absolute blast in the Seychelles and would recommend it to anyone and everyone. All I can say now is, fingers crossed for a fruitful Whale Shark season ahead!!

No comments: